Monday, July 11, 2011


Yesterday I was driving home from the Granberry's house with several intern girls when the car in front of us pulled off to the side of the road.  I saw a women in the driver's seat flagging us down.  I went about  50 yards passed her car and decided,  I should turn around and see what she needed.  As we approached  the car and pulled over I could see it was a man and woman.  I rolled down my window to see what was wrong.  They were out of gas the woman explained.  Could I take her husband a few miles up the road to get gas?  I said sure and he hopped in the car with his plastic container for carrying gas.  The ride was silent.  When we got to the gas station he got out and said thanks for the ride assuming I wouldn't take him back.  I asked if he wanted a ride back to which he gratefully responded, "That would be great."  So we waited a couple of minutes for him to pump the gas, and drove him back the few miles.
      When we got back his wife got out of the car and I got out to greet her.  She hugged me as she explained that their gas gage was broken.  She thanked me for giving her husband a ride.  Then she held our her hand and said please except this gift.  In Yakama culture if somebody offers you a gift you take it.  So I reached forward to take the gift.  I thanked her and we parted ways.  When I got back in the car I examined the gift.  It was an intricately beaded barrette made from cut beads.  It was worth far more than a quick trip to the gas station and back.  The gift outweighed the act by a long shot. I didn't even pay for his gas.  I was extremely humbled.   It was a reminder to me of a good and beautiful part of Yakama culture.  They are generous and not stingy.  I pray that I may be as generous as they are with Christ's love.
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing such an encouraging story, Heather! It's so good to hear the positive experiences that you're having. I know times can be tough out there. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you did that, Heather. But if I had been in the car I probably would have advised against it. ...guess that's where trusting God comes in, right? We don't always know who our neighbors are or how we're supposed to love them.

    ReplyDelete